Friday, April 27, 2012

Writing As A Cathartic Exercise...


I have a work schedule where I do not work on Fridays. I have the hold-over schedule from the famous (or infamous depending on your opinion of state government...) 4-Day work schedule enacted by the former governor and former presidential candidate (and former GOP member from what I've read...) Jon Huntsman. I was one of the lucky workers able to keep the original Monday-Thursday schedule.

Why am I telling you all this? Good question. It's a long way of letting you know that I have Fridays off and I usually use the day to write, or run errands or attend writer's conferences. Because of news I received yesterday while at work, I wasn't in the writing mood today. Flat out, it wasn't in me. I'm no psychologist, but I think most, if not all, writers experience the same thing. It's not writers block, per se, but writer's delay may be a better description.

Which brings me to my point (finally!). I realized this morning that I wasn't going to feel any better if I dwelt on yesterday's events so I began writing. I did the same thing yesterday with the April 27, 2012 blog post. Last night I wrote for someone else. Today I wrote for me. Both times I found the exercise to be such a cathartic experience. I was able to lose myself in the words.

Tonight a friend thanked me for some of those words and there's few better feelings in the world. Now, if I could get this darn novel finished and into the hands of readers everywhere, well, that would make me feel really good and I'd forget all about what happened yesterday at work. Heck--it would make me forget about that job forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment