Sunday, July 31, 2016

My Own Writing Retreat...At The Library


I did something yesterday I've never done before. I left home Saturday afternoon and went to our local library. That isn't the unusual thing. But this time I took my computer, my wireless keyboard, and reserved one of their conference rooms.

And I wrote.

And it was fantastic!

The last time I worked with my friend Issac at the library he said something interesting. He said, "You should just go to the library when you would have been scheduled to work and just write." I had not thought of doing that, but it made total sense. One of the main reasons I couldn't remain working at the library was because I had no time--or very little time--to write. Issac's suggestion was genius. And since my library work schedule was the same every week, I have adjusted my life to work around that schedule. 

So yesterday was the first time I did it. I went in at 2pm and wrote until about 5:15pm. I wrote just under 2000 words on my latest WIP, which increased the total number of pages for that WIP by 25%. That's a good day of writing for me. Another cool thing, when the album I was listening to ended, I just walked over to the CDs, picked up Weezer's latest compilation and wrote while it played. I think I'll be doing that again. It's a great way to listen to more music.

As I left the library I asked if I could book the conference room again. I was told I could. I scheduled two shifts, both times I would have been working at the library had I stayed at that job. I don't know how long I'll be doing this, but I hope I can continue. A few months of this, and I'll have this story done and maybe a few more.

No comments:

Post a Comment