Monday, March 13, 2017

You're Wearing...That?


I'll be the first to admit this--I don't believe I have very good fashion sense. It's not something I'm necessarily proud of or ashamed of. It's just the way it is. I found out in jr. high or elementary school that I am colorblind to some colors--not really a big deal for me either. I'm also left-handed and I've successfully adapted for more than fifty-one years. 

I remember, when I was on my LDS mission decades ago, my companion at the time was very fashion-savvy, so much so, he asked me one time, "Why don't people see when two colors don't go together?" Of course, it's been so long, those may not have been his exact words, but that was his point. He couldn't understand how people couldn't see when something didn't match. He thought basic fashion skills were just that--basic. I hadn't given that much thought at the time. I had my suits and ties (and while shirts, of course...). If I wore a blue suit, I wore a tie with blue in it.

Being married has helped me immensely with my wardrobe. I don't have a lot of choices to begin with, but I know I'm capable of putting together some pretty hideous combinations with what I do have. This morning I picked a shirt, a pair of pants, socks, a belt--no tie, thank goodness--and shoes. Since the shoes were black, I chose a black belt. But I wasn't sure about the pants and shirt combo. Was it okay? Would people shade their eyes as I walked into a room at work or stepped aboard a bus or train? I thought it looked okay as I made my selection, but I wasn't sure.

Normally, I'd ask my wife, but seeing as how it was 5:40am and my wife was asleep trying to overcome the subtile (yet not subtile...) effects of Daylight Savings Time, I did not wish to wake her. Plus, it might have taken several minutes for the mind to wake and the eyes to adjust, not to mention the unusual request I'd be asking. After all, I could have worn something I usually wear that doesn't have the possibility of clashing.

At work, no one shrieked, no one fainted. Those on public transportation were too busy sleeping, or playing video games. It's probably time to get some new work clothes anyway, and I'll definitely be taking my wife along with me to make sure I don't screw it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment