Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Salt Lake Comic Cons And FanX...Amazing Experiences, Lives Changed!


There's no other way to look at this--I'm one incredibly lucky fella! Last week I did a little cleaning in my room. I have a spot on a bookshelf where I put my convention lanyards and passes. I've kept every Salt Lake Comic Con and FanX pass I've been given since 2013. Tonight I spread them out and just looked at them.

There's a lot of amazing experiences packed into those plastic passes.


Back in the summer of 2013 I was asked by a friend if I'd like to help out with the first Comic Con in Salt Lake. I was beyond honored. But even I had no idea just what that simple question would mean to my future, to the future of my family, and my career. Had I known, I might have been even more excited (if that were possible...). 

Because of these conventions, I have meet people who I may not have met otherwise, people who have helped me with my writing, helped me get stories published, helped me secure my first novel contract. The book comes out a week from today. I've been on panels with world-famous authors, filmmakers, artists. I've met some of the most beautiful people at these events. 


I know some who diss comic cons. They make fun of the people who go, the people who spend hours of time creating costumes--be they good or not so good--all in the name of fun. They can't understand how people would spend their hard-earned cash for the opportunity to wait in long lines to spend five minutes with their favorite celebrities, leaving only with a signed photo. They can't understand it--it doesn't compute in their minds, and it probably never will.

I feel a little sad for those who think this way. But the great thing about these conventions are those who go couldn't give a flying flip about what others think. Personally, these shows have changed lives--mine included. In years past, the next convention would be a few weeks away, but not this year. We'll have to wait until September. I've been fortunate enough to help out and be a special guest at each one so far. I hope that streak continues, but if it doesn't, I'll always be grateful to Blake, Ryan, Dan, Bryan, and the literally thousands of others who have helped me become a better writer, a better salesman, a better communicator, a better person. 


I can't wait for the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment