Sunday, May 15, 2016

Finally Got Around To Watching..."Jupiter Ascending"


When I was younger, I can't remember if I saw a lot of movies. I probably did, at least, the movies everyone saw. Of course, back then there weren't so many movies available to watch. Still, when I'm working or in plays around those from the younger generation, it seems they watch every movie that comes out.

There's many disadvantages to only watching one or two movies a year at the movie theater. You miss out on the "theater experience." I admit, having a quality sound system rumble the seats is very cool. Most theater seats nowadays are pretty fine as well. And, by watching movies at home via RedBox or Netflix, there's the inevitable waiting.

But there's also advantages, too. For one, we save money, and that's a good thing. But what I believe is the biggest advantage is enjoying some movies I normally wouldn't, or--and perhaps this is my unverified bias shining through--liking movies those who see every movie that comes out might not.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this afternoon we watched Jupiter Ascending and thought it wasn't too bad, at least, not as bad as what some have said about it. The film introduces us to a fantastical world, or worlds. A woman, currently a maid who cleans houses with her family, is discovered to be the princess of a race of being who originally populated our planet. An evil man wants earth for his own diabolical purposes wants the woman killed. His plans are foiled by a flying hero who saves the princess and basically everyone else.

The movie was long, maybe a little too long, but I appreciated the introduction of something new. It wasn't a re-make, or a sequel, or a prequel. It had the look and feel of a big-budget film, and overall, I liked it. I've said many times after watching a movie at home that, if I had paid $7-10 in the theater, I probably wouldn't have liked it as much. So, I liked something I spent very little (financially...) to watch. I wonder if those who spent an estimated $176 million to create the film appreciate that.

Probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment