Tuesday, May 17, 2016

How My "Stay At Home And Write" Day Went...


Last Thursday, as I listened to Stephen King narrate his book on writing called, appropriately On Writing, I decided to take the next Monday off work. Mr. King inspired me and I envisioned a day of bliss while writing word after word on my local WIP. And because I'm fortunate enough to have a job where I can take an occasional day off from work, my wish was granted.

Monday came and I was up at 7am. After which, I ended up going back to sleep (I actually didn't plan on this--it just sort of happened...) and woke up again at 8:30am. I realize I missed out on valuable writing time, but oh...it felt good!

I decided the first thing I would do was incorporate some edits from the previous week's writing group. That took a little while, but it was worth it because my group had such amazing suggestions that really helped the story.

Around noon my computer started to slow down. I found it was taking time to even save the document. "Uh oh," I said to myself. I'd better shut down my computer. I probably have more serious problems with my reliable laptop than I care to think about, but I do know that when it gets slow, it means I have too many programs running and the darn thing needs a break.

An hour after I began the shutdown process, it finally turned itself off.

The afternoon brought a couple of interruptions, but all-in-all, it was productive. I had to stop around 4pm to get ready for my part-time gig. My writing day came to an end.

The day didn't turn out the way Mr. King would have had it, but I'm not Mr. King. And that's okay. In his book he says he doesn't write for the money. Some may question the sincerity of that statement, but even if he's lying (personally, I don't think he is...), I will believe it. Writing is one of the most challenging and rewarding things I've ever done. So even though I didn't get as much done as I would have liked, I loved having the day to do it. I don't have many days like it, and I'd love to do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment