Thursday, January 12, 2017

Heartbroken...Over Two Lost Soles


Today I looked down while I was talking to a co-worker at work and I saw a line in the side of my shoe. "What's this?" I asked and I took a closer look. It was the first time I saw a crack--no, not just a crack, a complete division--of the sole of my shoe. I checked out the other shoe and sure enough, that one was split open as well.

"Oh, man..." It was all I could think to say.


I know these Dr. Martens aren't the nicest things to look at. They're worker shoes. It must have been at least ten years ago I was shopping at our local thrift store and I spotted not one, but two pairs of Dr. Martens, one pair black, the other brown. I'm thinking someone owned both pairs and I bought them. I've loved them ever since.


They've been very, very good shoes for me.

So much so, I've worn the black pair almost everyday at work for at least a decade. The great thing about them is I can wear them in the summer, and I can wear them if it's raining or snowing. I never had to worry about them.


After I saw the damage, I tried thinking about when the splits happened. It might have been the sub-zero cold we had last week. Or, it could have been the fact that I wore them every work day for years. Whatever the reason, I'm pretty sure they're history. I don't think they're repairable. I do have my trusty brown shoes, but almost everything I wear goes with black shoes (hence, me wearing them daily...).


I have other dress shoes--I've even blogged about them. Most, like the Dr. Martens, came from thrift stores. I was hoping I could wear those shoes until I retire. I've got about a decade left, at least. Looks like my shoes retired first.

No comments:

Post a Comment