Monday, August 14, 2017

That Time I Was In A Miniseries...Because "Nothing Lasts Forever"


Back in 1994 I found myself on the set of a Made-For-TV miniseries, Sidney Sheldon's Nothing Lasts Forever.

Never saw it?

You're probably not alone.

Then again, you may have seen it and forgot--it's been twenty-two years, after all.

The courtroom shoot lasted a week. I took time off work and we put in 12-hour days--that was just for the extras. There were about a dozen of us, those who were spectators for the courtroom drama. I learned from that experience to always bring a book to read. I also learned that those behind the camera work their butts off and put in long long hours to create what looks seamless on screen.



Even though I lost money for the week (they paid us, but I would have earned more at my job...), I loved the experience. I saw some true celebrities, and spoke to some--even though the extras were told not to disturb them, something I completely understood.

Because this wasn't the most successful miniseries, it hasn't been seen much since 1995 when it was released. I even looked to see if I could buy a DVD copy, or even a VHS copy. I found none. But thanks to the miracle that is YouTube, I can watch my 15 seconds of screen time (if that...) any time I want! Just google "Nothing Lasts Forever" and YouTube and you too can be entertained by such stars as Brooke Shields, Gail O'Grady, Vanessa Williams, Saul Rubinek, Gerald McRaney, Chris Noth, Meshach Taylor, Lloyd Bridges, and yours truly. I also met Mike Lookingland. He was a cameraman--nice guy. Just click: HERE to access my episode.



So, here's my claim to dated fame. I was a law student pulling for the prosecution. That darned shifty defense attorney--he was just beyond the pale. That poor (rich...) widow should have gotten all the inheritance; none should have been awarded to that killer doctor.


The defense attorney had no shame, tricking the widow to prove his point. Meshach and I were completely disgusted.


And finally, after being so disillusioned with the whole process, a bald law student wearing a stylish teal sport jacket walks away to consider his career choice. Will he go back to law? Will he turn his back on the scales of justice forever? We'll never know, but the cute blonde doctor won so I guess that means America won.


I was an extra on a couple of other projects, even met America Ferrera before she traveled in pants (which she most likely did before she became famous for doing it...). Back then so many projects were filmed in Utah--not so many now. I'd like to be an extra again. Maybe one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment