Friday, September 15, 2017

It's The Little Things That Mean The Most...


Last weekend on our trip we stopped and spent the night in Pendleton, Oregon. It's a nice little town, from what we saw, nice people, too. In the motel lobby where we stayed there was a saddle. The town's big rodeo was taking place the same weekend we were there.


Not only was it a necessary piece of equipment to ride a horse, it was a beautiful work of art. As we passed I told my kids that their grandpa, my dad, made saddles. He was many things, a leatherwork expert was one of them. Today, while searching for something completely different, I came across one of the few remaining things my dad made out of leather, a child's leather belt.


Looking at it again, I noticed just how incredible it is.


Not only is the leather worked, but it's painted From the look of the belt, it didn't see a lot of wear so even the colors are bright. There's so much detail in the bear, the deer, the trees, mountains, and even the smoke coming from the cabin is an amazing addition.


Back when we used to search the home my father built after he died, I remembered seeing some of his old leatherwork tools. When I was old enough for scouts, we dabbled in some small leather projects. I remembered looking for my dad's tools again. I thought if I had access to all the things he had, maybe I could create some amazing things, too. Turns out, he really didn't all that many things. The man just knew how to work with what he had.


Maybe, had my dad lived, he could have made a belt that would fit me now. I hope I'd want to wear it so much I would wear it out and he'd have to make a new one. Back when he made these belts (mine, and at least one other for my brother...), there's no way we could have appreciated them--we were just too young. But now, even though I can in now way wear it, the small belt is one of my favorite things.


I wrote earlier that my belt was one of the few things left that he made out of leather. But I'll bet somewhere, there's an expertly crafted saddle that's still being used, its owner having no idea who made it, no idea just how good the craftsman was with leather and tools.


Then again, they probably know that last part.

No comments:

Post a Comment