Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Our "Why Do We Love All Things Disney?" Panel...Went Swimmingly!


As days separate today from the last day of the most resent Salt Lake Comic Con, I see fewer pictures on social media and less talk about what an amazing experience it was. It's as if the experiences are little by little put away, stored like so many cosplay costumes in drawers, boxes, or disassembled all together.

But some memories remain, both good and bad. I remember for this year's con, I was exhausted much of the time (that's happening more and more as I get older...). I remember having to leave early to go to a side job. But what I remember most was the last event I attended on the con's last day, a panel I submitted entitled, Why Do We Love All Things Disney?

And it went great!

When a panel idea is submitted, you never know if it's going to actually take place. There are many great panel ideas that don't make it. When I found out, not only was it chosen, but I would be a part of it--that's a good feeling. Better still, when I researched who else would be on the panel, I became more excited.

I knew Jim Christian and I knew how great he'd be on the panel--if you know Jim you know he's Mr. Disney. I also knew of another panelist, Holly Frey, a nationally-recognized podcaster and self-admitted Disney fanatic. One of the best parts of doing panels is getting to know those with whom you share a stage. I met for the first time Saturday afternoon fellow panelists Valerie Cameron-Walker, Aaron Evans, and Scott Renshaw. We had writers, filmmakers, podcasters, directors, actors all represented. It was a great line-up.

Usually when I moderate a panel I count on getting through about 1/2 hour of discussion, then the audience helps bail me out. On this particular panel, I didn't think we'd get to the audience. I knew Jim could speak for hours on Disney without breaking a sweat. Turns out I was right. The panelists had enough amazing stories about all things Disney, we filled the fifty minutes with home run-worthy Disney content.

I'm hoping the others felt good about our panel. And I hope those attending left the room feeling like they learned about not only us on the panel, but more about themselves as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment