Saturday, April 14, 2018

James Alderdice's "Brutal"...A Book Review


It took me a few weeks to get through the audiobook of James Alderdice's Brutal. I usually listen while at work and work's been extra busy lately, so I wasn't able to finish the book in a speedy manner. In fact, I started it, listened to the first couple of chapters, then I took a break. I sent the author a message telling him I was enjoying what I had heard so far. He responded back thanking me for the kind words.

I then told him, it was pretty graphic--lots of violence.

He had a classic response,

"Well, it is titled Brutal."

Touché.

If you are prone to judging books by their covers, take a look at Brutal. What do you see, front and center? A bloody sword. That's basically what you're going to get in the pages of this book. A man who wields the sword has no name; he's known as The Sellsword, and he's very good at using that sword to end lives, and fight for justice.

In the world created by Alderdice, a sword must be used to battle the evil brought by paladins and wizards. The world is gritty, savage...in a word, brutal. The author puts you in the room, in the action. And how he describes the duchess, you'd swear she stepped straight from a Frank Frazetta painting.

I don't watch Game of Thrones, or other type shows. And truth be told, I might not have chosen this particular book, except for a couple of reasons. It's getting great reviews, and I know the author and want him to succeed. If you like a story that combines gore and humor and justice and evil and more gore, you'll enjoy this book. You can order it on the Amazon page: HERE. Give it a shot--it's both grim and dark. Well done, James!

No comments:

Post a Comment