Friday, August 3, 2018

Inherited Watches...More To The Collection


Back when I attended college the first time, I made a conscience decision to begin collecting watches, but not any watches. I began seeking out and purchasing watches that did not require a battery to work. Back then, you could find an old Timex or an Elgin for five or ten bucks.

Those days are gone.

Now, thanks to the internet and fewer wind-up watches out there, finding these older watches is getting tougher and tougher. Occasionally, I'll find one in a thrift store and I could order them on-line, but my glory days of watch collecting are probably in my past.



Last week at my father-in-law's funeral, my mother-in-law asked if I'd like to add several watches to my collection, her late husband's. I was honored. There are two non-battery watches and four battery ones. All the battery-powered watches are working, except for an old Bulova Accutron--beautiful watch. I'd love to get that running. There's also a watch from a maker I've never heard of, Liga. My son's going to see if he can get that one fixed.



I have several watches from my father. Any watch he wore is at least 30 + years old. My father-in-law's watches are newer, at least some of them are. I have no idea how many old watches I have or how many of them actually work. I do know that the ones from my family--working or not--mean the most. That's the way it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment