Saturday, June 1, 2019

Lagoon Is Open...And It Seems The Whole World Knows It


I remember a few years ago, I ran into my friend who is an executive at Lagoon Amusement Park. That particular spring and summer had been a wet one so I asked if the wet weather had affected the park financially.

He looked at me as if the question were kind of dumb and said, "No. In fact, we had our most successful season ever."


I've thought about that a lot since we had our conversation. We live about a mile from the park, so when it rains at our house, it's raining there. I know a lot of people don't care if it's raining--they'll have a blast at the park anyway, but many will stay away, and that should affect their bottom line.

But, what do I know? I guess, not much about Lagoon. And since I've been working during their Halloween season the past four years, I realized something. The amusement park has been having record seasons because each year. Part of the reason could be that each year more and more people have been moving to Utah, and those people go to Lagoon.


This morning, I was making my way to the grocery store when I had to stop due to traffic. A few weeks ago the same thing happened. The city was working on the bridge that spans the interstate and I wondered if the same thing was happing again this morning.

Nope--turns out, the stopped traffic was due to all the cars headed to Lagoon. As I crossed the bridge I tried (unsuccessfully...) to film all the cars waiting to get to the park. It's hard to see, but cars are lined up for about a mile going back all the way to the freeway offramp to the south. I can't tell how far they're backed up to the north, but I'm sure it's far.


Of course, I can't say for sure, but I'll bet 2019 will be the park's most successful one yet. I hope so, for my friend's sake, for my sake, and for the sake of all the patrons--old and new--that will have a good time there--once they get to the park, that is.


No comments:

Post a Comment