Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Something We're Missing...Communication


Last night, our family did something we rarely do--we sat down and watched a political debate. It's for a local election, state governor, and it lacked the fireworks or panache found sometimes in the bigger or national elections, and that's okay.

The fireworks and panache aren't what's important.

By some measurements, I'm not a political animal. I don't watch political programs or follow politicians on social media. I don't even watch the local news, something that I feel has helped me to feel better about myself and about my fellow man/woman/child, and something that has not cast me down to a pit of depression and misery. Sure, I'm not the most "up to date" citizen, but it's something I can live with.

This year we're getting a new governor. Utah's governors, over the past decade or so, have been a series of replacements and incumbents. We have a former governor, a current Lt. governor, a former speaker-of-the-house, and a businessman vying for the job. These are the republicans. In our state, the republican nominee is almost assured to win. Many think this fact alone is the main reason for many of the state's problems. That's a party argument, and to believe that discounts the ability of a good candidate can make a difference--it's party that is either right or wrong. I reject that thinking.

The four candidates had their time under the studio lights (except for one candidate who was in quarantine...). It's hard not to be cynical when listening to politicians speak. They promise, they compare, they contrast, and they speak of better days, if they are voted into office.

Usually, I can't stand debates. But, something about this one (and I admit, I did not watch all of it, but others of my family did...) captured our attention. Maybe it's because we need to communicate to get through these issues and problems facing our country, state, and town.

I don't know if the debate solidified the vote for any of us for any of the choices. But, it was important to give us an insight into these men and some of their thoughts. Politics, like people, are imperfect. We do the best we can with what we've been given--the politicians and their ideas and passion, and the public and our needs and fears.

Soon, the choices will be cut until at the end of the year a new person will get the job. Let's hope we've communicated enough to make the best choice possible.

Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment