Saturday, August 12, 2023

A Season Of Change...


 I am, admittedly, a sports fan. My favorite sports to follow in no particular order is National Team Soccer, some olympics, other soccer leagues, and NCAA sports, especially college football. This month, a premier NCAA conference blew up...the chard remains exist for the time being, but could all but disappear soon.

That's a damn shame.

I don't know all the details of how and why the destruction of the Pac 12 happened. I've read some theories...it appears to be a combination of greed, arrogance, and laziness. Like I said, I have no first-hand knowledge of the why, and it doesn't really matter anyway. What's done is done. I feel bad for the good people who worked hard and did their jobs to keep the Pac 12 functioning. It's not their fault things went south. 

As a fan of the University of Utah football team, I was worried. The very real prospect that the Utes would be left out of the conference party existed. Thankfully, they were invited into the Big 12 (funny how the numbers following the Big 12, the Big 10 no longer matter...). Thankfully, the Utes accepted.

It's been an interesting week as a college sports fan.

Many of my friends are BYU fans...they definitely bleed blue. They begin conference play in the Big 12 this year after wandering in the independence desert for a long time. I can't wait for them to again be part of a conference race, to try and win the conference, to complete for a shot at the playoffs. It's exciting. They deserve it. Utah has one final year of Pac 12 play, then they'll join the Big 12 family, and boy--it's going to be fun. 

I have no idea what changes are in store for college sports, but change is definitely in the air. Things have happened no one could have imagined even ten years ago. The next ten years could be even more nuts, but as long as I can watch my beloved Utah Utes don the crimson and white and play to the best of their abilities...

I'll be a happy fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment