Sunday, October 22, 2023

Give Thanks...For The Unafraid, The Unashamed


 There are entire social media sites dedicated to the shoppers at Walmart...

And not to celebrate them, but to make fun of them.

It's a shame, really, since all of us--every one of us--could be made fun of by someone. Three's always people who feel superior and, unfortunately, there's always people who feel inferior. The sites that denigrates these shoppers are popular because we all want to feel superior and seeing others who are "less than us" makes that happen, I suppose.

Last week I spotted a shopper, a singular man pushing a cart with the words, "WE ALL NEED JESUS" printed on the back and front of his shirt. I posted the picture on my social media and I got some predictable responses. 

I probably wouldn't wear that shirt. Why? Maybe I'd be embarrassed, maybe a little ashamed. Either way, it's not my style to have those words on a shirt. But, I've got to say, I respect that man. He obviously wanted others to know how he felt on the subject...either that, or it was just another shirt he threw on. I'm guessing the former. He walked up and down the aisles unafraid...unashamed.

I'm thankful for those who are willing to stand up for their beliefs, maybe because it's something I wouldn't be willing to do. Of course, at this very moment there are people who are wearing messages and holding signs that others find offensive. For many, that's a problem. Is the problem with the message, the messenger, or the viewer?

Maybe all three.

It takes guts to wear your opinions literally on your sleeve. The man I saw was among others who felt the same way...somewhat safe. I wonder if he'd wear the shirt in other parts of the world where it's not so safe, where those around him would disagree...that would be true bravery. I'd like to think this man would.

No comments:

Post a Comment