Sunday, April 21, 2024

Give Thanks...Living In A Small Town


 Of course, this post could be put in almost any town. People all over the world own goats, from the smallest hamlets to the largest cities, someone's got a goat. And when people have goats, occasionally, a goat may end up missing.

I love living in a small town.

Since moving, I've seen other posts on social media--mostly Facebook because their posts can be so well targeted to a specific area--similar to this one. "Hey...whoever is missing horses in Garland, we saw three walking down Factory street headed east."

An don't get me started on missing cats and dogs.

That's almost a daily, no hourly occurrence. So much so, I often wonder if some caring and well-meaning citizen spots an animal in its own yard, snaps a picture, and wonders if anyone's lost a small brown and black terrier near the library or by the tennis courts. I'm sure it happens, and to their credit, it's better to be over-cautious then to "hope" the animal is safe and sound.

When it comes down to it, it's all about caring for others, for your neighbor, be they missing goats, horses, cats, dogs, or even turtles (have yet to see a missing fish post, but you never know...). I'm thankful to live in an area where people are looking our for each other, treating others as they would like to be treated themselves, mostly.

I'm good friends with someone who grew up in the valley to the east. His and my childhood were similar. We grew up in small towns, before the big towns swallowed up the suburbs. He lives in Salt Lake now, and he asked me how we liked living up here. I told him I loved living in a small town. He said he remembered living in a small town and he's glad he's no longer there.

I'm glad he's happy. I'm glad we're happy, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment