Friday, February 17, 2023

Though I Didn't Grow Up Eating Here...I Know What My Friend Is Talking About


 The first time we dined at El Toro Viejo, it wasn't in Logan, Utah, but Brigham City. We did not know it at the time, that the Brigham City location was not the original, but a satellite restaurant. We didn't get a chance to eat there often...it closed shortly after we found the place.

When we discovered another El Toro Viejo, this time in Logan, Utah, we rejoiced. We learned from our past mistakes and have eaten there many times.

The last time I took a picture of the name over the front door and posted it to social media. I thought I'd hear from a good friend who grew up in Cache Valley after posting the picture. I thought this because I'd discussed the restaurant in the past and he commented on it then.

The place remind him of his youth, so much so he commented even on the decor that once graced its walls.

Even though I never ate at that particular restaurant growing up, I knew exactly what he was talking about.

The same thing happened to me and my friends, though about ninety miles south of Logan.

For us, it was Robintinos. Even the name conjures memories--wonderful, incredible memories.

When I attended high school and later college, the eatery of choice for my friends and I was Robintinos on Fifth South in Bountiful. I must have eaten there hundreds of times. Only the home my dad built for our family and my family's first home have I eaten at more than Robintinos. Robintinos serves mostly Italian food, pizzas, pasta, soups, salads. I tried almost the entire menu at one point or another.

The restaurant moved from its Fifth South location years ago. Now it can be found a few blocks away on Fifth West where Brattens Fish Grotto once stood. I've been back a few times after the move and they have some of the original artwork hanging on the walls, paintings I recognized immediately, pictures that transported me back in time to those high school/college/Lagoon days...

Wonderful days.

My friend from Logan commented about his memories at El Toro Viejo and I knew exactly what he was talking about. I'll bet others have similar stories of their youth. Funny, how we're alike in so many ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment