Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Neil Gaiman's "Neverwhere"...A Book Review

14497*

Today I finished reading another Neil Gaiman novel, Neverwhere. I had never heard of this particular book, but then again, as of a few years ago, I had never heard of Neil Gaiman. I did a search on my local library's website for audiobooks and this one came up. I'm a little sad because I believe I've now exhausted all the Gaiman audiobooks my library has to offer.

However, I'm not too sad because I got to read, or have read to me by the author, another amazing story. In Neverwhere Gaiman transforms his main character to an alternate universe, where the rules have definitely changed and where death can be unpredictable, or even not permanent, depending on the situation. Gaiman does provide a pair of nasties that inflict most of the killing in manners most foul. They're awesomely evil.

I've never read a Neil Gaiman book, read as in pick up a physical copy of the book and actually read the book. I've listened to them. I know there's a lot of good audiobook readers out there, but for my money, none can hold a candle to Mr. Gaiman reading his own works. It's as close to a perfect literary experience as I can imagine.

Neverwhere is an earlier work, his first solo novel (according to Wikipedia...) which makes the novel that much more impressive. If you like Gaiman, read it. Then again, if you like Gaiman, you probably already have.

* Photo used without permission from: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14497.Neverwhere?from_search=true

No comments:

Post a Comment