Okay, so this is not a picture of our rain gutters (of course, there's a little bit of the home's roof on the left...), and this is not a picture of what we cleared out of the gutters today, but it does show something. Today it took our family an hour or so to clean out all the pesky pine needles out of our rain gutters.
The other day we bought a power washer attachment we thought might work to clean out the gutters. I had my doubts that it would work because the pine needles that migrate and end up in the gutters are so long! And when you get hundreds and thousands bunched up, they don't want to go anywhere and they're so thick, the water just pools and ends up flowing over the top of the gutters.
But when I fired up the power washer this morning, it did a pretty good job of blasting the darn things out of the gutter. I ran into trouble when I couldn't reach the far end of the house. The pressure just couldn't cut it. I ended up climbing out on roof and finishing the job up there.
I'm not a fan of heights. In short, I avoid them. The east side of hour hose is only one story up. Lucky for us, that's where most of the needed settle and I've cleaned out that side several times. The west side of the house, however, it's higher. I've only been on that side of the house once or twice in the past eleven years.
The entire process took about an hour and it involved the entire family. I hope the kids will remember today, remember when we cleared out the rain gutters. Hopefully will be using our new found washer each year so I'll be able to do it by myself. And when they think back on today, I hope they remember that it was kind of fun.