Saturday, August 9, 2014

Comic Cons Are Supposed To Be About Fun...Right?


I think most knew it was coming, the lawsuit over a name.


Now, I'm not a lawyer, but I know enough to know that a lawsuit between San Diego Comic-Con (SDCC) and Salt Lake Comic Con (SLCC) is not a trivial matter. It's about dollars--lots and lots of dollars. For those of us in the Utah camp, it seems silly, unnecessary and a bit spiteful.


So, why single out SLCC when there's so many Comic Cons across the country and the world?


The only reason I can think of is Salt Lake's amazing success. In less than one year the SLCC organizers have created the third-largest convention in America, and I believe the lawsuit filed by SDCC will only fuel the fire beating in the chests of the local nerds. I'm no prophet, but I believe all the hoopla surrounding the lawsuit will propel SLCC to surpass New York as the #2 comic con in the country, and could possibly become the biggest in the nation. I have no hard data to support this prediction--just a hunch.


But, aren't these conventions supposed to be about the people? Shouldn't SLCC and SDCC try as hard as they can to satisfy the people paying good money to get inside the doors? That's what I thought and while I meandered among throngs of people at the Salt Palace Convention Center last September and April, I saw happy people. I've never been to SDCC but I hope their patrons enjoy their show.


Then again, this might all be about a car...Darn Germans!

No comments:

Post a Comment