Saturday, August 30, 2014

Out With The Old, In With The New...Boat


Some things change--some do not. As time goes on, it seems everything eventually changes. Volkswagen gave us a new Beetle, Coca-Cola has tampered with it's product for years, and now the need to change has reached the Boy Scouts Raingutter Regatta.

I guess it was inevitable. 


Though, I must say, I do like the new design. Gone is the block of balsa wood with a stick and a sail. Now the youngsters can build their own balsa catamarans. Basically, instead of one block of wood, they now have two blocks of wood.


This morning I gave my son an assignment. I drew lines on the wood where he needed to remove with a sander (that was conveniently included in the box...). I got back from the play this afternoon and saw that my son had completed his assignment and he did a great job.


Together we finished sanding the wood, then we attached the plastic boat body and we painted it gold. I told my son that our color choices were limited to whatever colors we had in the basement. Since we had gold, gold did just fine.

The big race is Tuesday night. It'll be interesting to see the creative designs the little tykes (or their fathers...) come up with. I say, bring it on!


No comments:

Post a Comment