Sunday, August 24, 2014

Cap't Monkey And Tooele Boy And The Unusual Contraption...A Short Story





Weekly Writing Challenge!

I think I've skipped a couple of weeks doing the weekly writing challenge. I need to get back into it so I can try and keep those creative fires burning.

And, it's been even longer since I utilized two of my favorite characters in a weekly writing challenge so I think I'll bring them back! And if you'd like to give this little challenge a try, here are the rules:

1) Use the above photo in your story along with five randomly chosen words.
2) Keep your word count 500 or less.
3) You have until next Tuesday night to link up your story.
4) Use the Blue Link to add your story at: Leanne's, Debb's or Tena's websites.
5) Have fun, don't stress, and let those creative juices flow!

This week's random words are:

Magician
System
Tour
Mint
Birthday

And so, the odyssey continues!

Cap't Monkey And Tooele Boy 
And The Unusual Contraption

"I say, Cap't Monkey," Tooele Boy exclaimed as the two meandered toward a city park. "What on earth is that contraption?"

"About which contraption do you speak? I see several confusing items that I imagine might cause you confusion." Cap't Monkey surveyed the green grass, the people involved in various sporting activities, and the numerous shops that lined the park.

"That's very true," Tooele Boy said with a chuckle. "But the object in question is that large rope and wood structure situated in the middle of the park. For the life of me, I can't understand what its purpose could be."

Cap't Monkey stopped walking. "That's an interesting question. The object could be anything. I think we should come closer in order to properly investigate." They crossed the lawn to the curious object. Tooele Boy had a million questions he wanted to ask, but previous experience with the captain taught him it was better for the man to think things through.

After a moment, Cap't Monkey spoke. "Let's see...what have we here? The shape resembles a chicken coop of some kind. Of course, it would take a magician to create a chicken that large. The rope system reminds me of my time at sea during , specifically the epic Disneyworld Tour of '96."

"Ah, yes. I remember reading about your awful bout of scurvy in the subsequent year's medical journals."

"Indeed, my friend--not as glamorous as it sounds."

Tooele Boy nodded in agreement. "Cap't Monkey, look!" The men watched as a small girl approached the contraption, then proceeded to climb higher and higher on the rope ladder until she reached the top after which she then sat on the topmost log and screamed at the top of her lungs, "Yay me! I did it! I climbed to the top! It's my best birthday ever!"

Both men stood in place, shocked at the turn of events that unfolded before them. Finally Cap't Monkey turned to his companion and said, "There you have it, my friend. The child answered your question just as a mint fly can detect unripe vegetables in a garden. What you see before you is a child's birthday throne. They're quite popular in Malaysia."

"Is there anything you don't know, Cap't Monkey?"

"I'm sure there is, Tooele Boy...I'm sure there is."

Word Count: 393

No comments:

Post a Comment