Monday, August 25, 2014

Brandon Sanderson's "The Way Of Kings"...Thoughts On A Big Book

7235533*

I've come to the conclusion that I will probably not read every book Brandon Sanderson writes, which, considering how long it takes to write a 1000+ page book, I should be able to keep up. Unless, of course, if the man can write faster than a normal person can read. Then there's no hope for any of us.

I've read a few of Sanderson's books, which is like saying I've seen a few Michael Caine films. My favorite Sanderson book (so far...) is Steelheart. Today I finished all 45+ hours of Sanderson's audiobook The Way Of Kings, Book One of The Stormlight Archive. Folks--that's a lot of reading, or in my case, reading pleasure.

One thing I've found out about myself that when I listen to an audiobook epic fantasy novel, I quickly get lost--mostly with the characters. When I read a book, my eyes can identify the different characters (even though in my mind I'm always mispronouncing their names...). I can also go back and read a paragraph or a page of text if I feel like I'm getting lost. I suppose I can do that with the audible version--it's just not as convenient.

Needless to say, there were several times when I didn't know what was going on, but I kept going, kept listening until the very last word. And why?

Because I like the way Brandon Sanderson writes. 

He's so good that even when I'm lost, I still want to listen and by the end of the work, I know what's going on (even though much of the stuff between the book covers went in one ear and out the other...).

I know this is a series with many many chapters in the story to come. Will I read them all? I hope so, but of course, there's always that "Mr. Sanderson writes faster than I can read" issue.

* Photo used without permission from: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7235533-the-way-of-kings?from_search=true

No comments:

Post a Comment