Thursday, October 24, 2019

Checking Out #Pitdark...Lots And Lots Of Pitches

Image

One of the amazing aspects of Twitter is the ability to target your audience for both the those seeking information and those providing information. 

Case in point, #Pitdark.

Or, in other words, The Bi-Annual Twitter Pitch Party for authors of Dark Literature.

Sounds like fun, doesn't it?

I guess you have to be into that sort of thing.

I learned about #Pitdark from those at Immortal Works Press. They will check out tweets during these submission times for interesting stories. Personally, I've never done it--checked out the tweets--so I thought I'd see what it was all about.

Turns out, there's a whole lot of imagination going on out there.


I scrolled page after page of of titles and pitches. They were fascinating! I took a screen shot of just a few of them. There were so many submissions and so many varied story ideas. It was a little overwhelming, to be honest. But, then again, when you have authors with finished stories and publishers looking for finished stories, it's a perfect place for both sides to meet. 

I'll bet, if your job is to look for interesting stories for publication, these Twitter pitching sessions can be exhausting. There's literally thousands of entries. You can spend a few minutes, or several hours just looking, pitch after pitch, author after author. It makes me wonder if any of those stories ever get picked up.

Then again, every time an author is contacted and a contract is signed because a publisher saw a pitch on Twitter, that's a success story. If it didn't work out, people wouldn't be doing it.

So, for all those authors out there pitching, and all those acquisitions editor searching, good luck--I wish you both a successful experience. And if it doesn't happen this time, there's always another pitch session just around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment