Wednesday, October 16, 2019

"The House With A Clock In Its Walls"...I Had Forgotten About This One


One of the advantages of not seeing films in a theater is that you happen upon movies you thought might be interesting, but never got around to watch...

And you get to watch them. 

Today I watched a 2018 film, The House With a Clock in its Walls. I remember seeing the ad--I can't believe it came out last year. 

I knew nothing of the book from which the film is based. It was written by John Bellairs and first published in 1973. It reminded me of another film I saw a few years back, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. Both were geared toward children, and I found both of them a little dark, especially the film based on Rigg's book. Bellairs's story dealt with dark themes as well, demons, that kind of thing.

I enjoyed the film. It starred Jack Black--who doesn't like Jack Black? He's engaging and a perfect fit for a children's story. This isn't to say he's not a good fit for other genres. I find him a good actor in almost everything I've seen him in.

The House With a Clock in its Walls tells the story of a recently-orphaned Lewis Barnvelt who must now live with his strange uncle and the uncle's equally strange neighbor. Turns out, uncle and neighbor was a practicing warlock and witch. Throw in peer pressure, jr. high bullying, curiosity, raising the dead, and the end of all humanity, and you've got the makings for a fun little story. 

The film made me want to read the book--something that I'm finding to be a good sign. When I like a film based on a book, I usually really like the book once I read it.

When I saw the film was available to watch, I remembered I wanted to see the film. I finally got around to seeing it, and I'm glad I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment