Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Microsoft Word...No Mas


I knew it was coming...I just didn't know it would be today. I really can't be too upset. After all, I used my copy of Microsoft Word for almost a decade and I didn't pay them a single penny. 

Time to pay the piper.

Last night I got the notification that a new MacBook operating system was available, MacOS Catalina, version 10.15. Usually I love updates. It means improvements, for the most part. Sure, there's some hick-ups you've got to deal with, but in most cases, the improvements outweigh the hassle. 

This time, however, I was given a warning--by upgrading my OS, my copy of Microsoft Word will not work. Like I said, I knew it was coming. I wondered if it would really happen.

Turns out, it did.

Once I was up and running Catalina, a big circle with a line through it was placed directly over my Word icon. I clicked it anyway and was told I needed to upgrade. So I did. Once I had the new version of Microsoft Word on my computer, in order to use it I had to pay, $65/year. 

Time to pay the piper.

I can in no way fault Microsoft. Let's face it--I got so much use out of the copy I bought in 2010. And I like Word. Many of my fellow authors do not like it as much as I do. To each his own. It's worked for me. I used Word to write my novel, all my published short stories, all my grad school writing assignments, even the first draft of my screenplay. It's been a good program for me.

For now, I'm going to check out some other options. Mac has Pages. I have yet to put it through its paces. Who knows? One day I may pony up the cash and get Microsoft Work and use it again. Time till tell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment