Monday, May 22, 2023

Cliff Poncier Said It Best..."I Miss Those Planes"


 There's a scene in the classic film, Singles, where Cliff Poncier waxes nostalgic about the time he used to live near the airport and no one wanted to visit him because the planes were so loud. He was sad and lonely because none of his friends would come to his cookouts, but he said he missed those planes.

When asked what he was talking about, Poncier said, "I don't know."

We have wide open skies here in Northern Utah, fewer people, too. And with fewer people there are fewer planes in the air over our heads. We used to live between the Salt Lake International Airport and Hill Air Force Base...lots of planes.

I don't remember a lot about my father, but I do remember he used to fly a lot. Back then you could drive right up to the runways and watch the planes take off and land, and sometimes we used to take him to catch his flights and we'd see the planes. For obvious reasons, we're no longer able to get so close to planes, but if I could, I would love to sit and watch planes take off and land all day long.

I also liked watching the passenger jets fly over our house where we used to live, but I really loved seeing the air force jets scream across the sky, especially on the Fourth of July.

Tonight, as we sat under an incredibly beautiful sky, I watched a jet fly overhead. It's such an anomaly now. I sat and watched it cross the sky, the vapor trail disappearing slowly as it passed. It was beautiful.

Cliff Poncier said it best, "I miss those planes."

No comments:

Post a Comment