Friday, May 19, 2023

Took A Drive Down Memory Lane...Nice Day For A Drive


When preparing for a wedding, there's lots to do. Food, clothes, flowers, invitations...

Then, there's pictures.

It's not like pictures for a funeral, but it is an ending of sorts, even though when it comes to weddings, most focus on the beginnings. For the parents of the bride and groom, there's an ending, an ending of having their child at home, an ending of the family unit never quite being the same. We are beyond excited about the upcoming event, still...

Well, things change.

Today, I was given an assignment to help find pictures of our daughter for the big day. I started driving down memory lane and ended up thinking the same thing all parents think when they enter that road...where did the time go?

I know I'm old--even my body's giving me the signals--but I don't feel that old. Yes, to me seeing these pictures of my daughter takes me back, back maybe ten, fifteen years tops. Nope...they go back further than that, back to when we lived in the apartment in the house where I grew up, the house my dad never quite finished building, back to when all kids could fit in a sedan, back when my mother and my wife's father were still alive.

A picture is more than card stock and a glossy finish. It's evidence of an event, of a glimpse of time that is always in the past, but shows an eternal present. These images and others directed me down the lane of memories, on a beautiful drive through my past.

No comments:

Post a Comment