Thursday, July 18, 2024

2000 Applications...It Only Took Me Seven Years And Two Months


Back in 2017 I was given a task at work to create a spreadsheet to chart applications assigned to me. Part of my job is to file paperwork and part of that paperwork is to process applications for state benefits. We all were asked to create spreadsheets so our supervisor could track how many applications we all did to help even out the workload.

I wonder if it made any difference at all.

But, that's not my call. 

That was three supervisors ago. I don't know when exactly we we no longer required to keep our lists, but I kept my spreadsheet, and I added to it, day after day, week after, week, month after month...

Year after year. Today, I added the 2000th application. 2000 times I was assigned a case to add a program that didn't exist before, or if a person let their state benefits lapse and needed to re-open the program(s). 

If you notice when I first began the spreadsheet I did nine applications that first month. In July of this month, I've listed over twenty applications. Such is the nature of work. Things have picked up. I don't want to imply that I'm complaining. It's just an observation. 

I don't know why I keep the spreadsheet. It's no longer required. I guess it's just part of my process--get the app, record it, then get to work. 

I think I'm going to continue with the spreadsheet. Might as well. It only takes a moment. Plus, it's fun to see the amount of work that's passed my desk and my computer. I don't know how many the list will have once I log off for the final time.

Let's just say...

I hope I don't get to 3k.

No comments:

Post a Comment