Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Maybe It's Time For This Horde...


 I heard the grasshoppers were going to be bad this year. Since we live on a hill and behind our subdivision, there's nature for miles and miles, I suspected there would be a lot of grasshoppers out there.

I was right, and not so right.

Our house is surrounded by other houses. We've lived in homes where that's not the case. Growing up, we lived at the end of a street and on two sides of our house, was mountain. It was fun trying to keep the mountain weeds at bay. 

It was also fun trying to keep the bugs, the snakes, the raccoons, and any other mountain animal/bug at bay. 

This summer, we've seen some grasshoppers in our yard. They haven't been too bad. We've had some plants eaten, but other plants haven't been touched. Maybe they are out there, but it's not something we think about when we go outside.

Just a road away, homes have a street in front and a mountain behind. I've driven on that road and you can see many grasshoppers on the road, on the sidewalks, on the driveways. They jump up and fly both to and away from the car as I drive down the road. If I lived on that road, I'd be thinking differently about the horde of locusts (grasshoppers...) than I do now.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective...

And location.

No comments:

Post a Comment