Monday, September 13, 2021

Just How Long Has This Land Been For Sale...?


 A few hundred yards from our font door, and up the hill to the north is a sign, a sign letting any one who finds themselves on this particular spot in Northern Utah that there is currently 1,296 acres for sale.

But, just how long has this land been for sale?

By the looks of the sign, for a long time.

We moved to a new part of town, west of the city center on a gentle slopping hill. We're in Phase 1 of at least 3 phases of development. The master plans have houses yet-to-be-built dotting the hill. We'll be one of hundreds soon. We're now one of dozens. There's a lot of hillside between our phases and this sign so I wonder what phase that is? I also wonder how whoever buys the land will bring water to the lots or will people need to drill wells? You can heat a home with propane and put in a septic tank for sewer. You can string electricity a long way, but water is the big thing.

These thoughts ran through my head as I hiked both to and from the sign. Tonight I did a little surfing online. I found the realtor's web page and I could not find that particular property listed. I guess it's been for sale for so long they're no longer advertising it, or maybe it's no longer under contract and they just haven't taken down the sign.

When you live in an area where there's a lot of land, things sometimes end up on that land. On farms you'll see tractors or harvesting equipment that died and they've just left things to rot. Sometimes you'll see cars and trucks sitting like ghosts of lives past.

The sign is perhaps useless in its current form, yet, it's like a work of art, reflecting an earlier time, a time when 1,296 acres was for sale on a southern-facing hillside in Northern Utah. I wonder if it will ever be sold/developed, and if so, will I get to see it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment