Friday, September 30, 2022

I Know Many Are Not Fans...But I'm Liking The "Rings Of Power"


 When I entered the world of writers, I found myself rubbing shoulders with some interesting people...other writers. Some of them are so dedicated to the craft that they have studied and researched extensively the writings of great authors.

Namely, JRR Tolkien.

Much has been said about the new Amazon Prime series, The Rings of Power. Many of my writer friends have been less than impressed. I can understand why. The Tolkien books are almost scripture to them. They influenced their lives in a way few other books have done. And to create a series that deviates from the essence of Tolkien, well...it's sacrilege. 

I get it. I understand. 

For me, I just don't know enough about Tolkien. This helps me enjoy the series, at least, so far.

I wonder if the show was made for people like me. We enjoy fantasy stories, may have even read them--as I did--both in my youth and as an adult. I don't know any of what the story's supposed to be so I can't be offended by the execution. Maybe the series is the worst thing ever and an insult to the great writer himself. 

I suppose this is a classic case of "Ignorance is bliss."

As for the show's success, I hope it does well. Do I wish it were more true to Tolkien's vision? I do for my friend's sake. All I know is they've spent a ton of money (literally...) getting this show made, from production to the rights. I found something humorous my friend posted--not sure where he found it. It sums up his feelings on the show. 

Yes, it's not for everyone, but so far, it's for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment