Monday, September 19, 2022

Oh, Arcade...Where Have You Gone?

 

My side gig takes place near a location where I spent countless hours as a kid. Almost every summer day my friends and I would go to the Lagoon pool, swim for a few hours, then walk around the park. We'd inevitably find ourselves at the Lagoon Arcade. I think it was called the Penny Arcade.

It's been called many things since it was built decades ago.

I believe it was first built as a dance hall. There's even the old wooden floor. Can't say for certain, but I think much of the wooden floor might be original where teenagers and parents danced the night away to first big bands, then rock and roll legends. 

Then again, since I know nothing of how long a wood floor lasts, I might be way off.

As a kid, we'd check out the pinball games. We'd check to see if any adult had played a pinball game, earned a credit or two, but left not knowing (or caring...) they had a free game. Finding a credit on a video game was golden, mostly because we had no money to play games ourselves. All three sides of that huge space were lined with nothing but pinball games.

As we grew, the arcade evolved. Video games came into their own and transformed the arcade into a palace of electric entertainment. We were older and had some money at that point. We'd even play a game or two.

The modern arcade turned into a place to earn points to buy stuff, stuff I don't care much about. There's no Asteroids or even Mortal Combat. Why have those games when much more impressive and challenging games are found on everyone's phone?

Still, I miss Tron and Missile Command and Galaga and Dig Dug and Centipede Dragon's Liar Pac Man Donkey Kong and Frogger and Zaxxon and Tempest and Joust and Journey and dozens more.

Maybe it's just a miss my youth. Still, looking at the space I once loved, I can't help but feel bad for how far it's fallen. Too bad...those were great times.

No comments:

Post a Comment