Monday, May 8, 2017

Confessions Of A Gadget Junkie...


I've said it more than once on this blog, and I'll say it again--we live in amazing times (doing a word search of "live in amazing times" on this blog nets 45 results...). Sometimes, it's the little things that manifest this idea. 

Case in point--the iPhone/iPad micro fan.


Yes, it's a gadget, and yes, I bought it. It's hard to resist when all those trinkets are sitting right there at the Chevron Gas Station desk. I'm sure all you gadget junkies know what I'm talking about.

I've seen similar fans that attach to the USB port so you can be lightly fanned as you slave away at your laptop. They're kitchy, but functional. And when I saw a tray of these little guys I thought the same thing--kitchy, but functional.

Yes, they're kitchy.


Functional...not so much.

I want it to be functional. I want it to work, to lightly fan me as I am doing things on the iPhone/iPad. But for the life of me, I can't really see how useful this little gadget will be. You can't speak on the phone with this thing plugged in. It will both hit you in the chin and warble every word that comes out of your mouth.


I suppose, you can plug in the fan while the iPhone/iPad sits on a desk at work. I usually have my phone open and listen to podcasts at work. Tomorrow I'll try and see if it makes any difference. My initial thoughts are, it won't. The phone will be too far away.

I guess I could have figured all this out when I first spotted it at the gas station, but while I held it in my hands and thought about how cool it was, even knowing how non-functional it was, how impractical, I'd probably have bought it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment