Friday, May 5, 2017

Sometimes...It's Just Not Fair


Ever had one of those mornings, or middle-of-the-nights where you can't seem to stay asleep? It doesn't happen a lot, but it did the other night. And not being able to sleep means different things--at least to me--depending on what day of the week it is. If it's later in the work week and I find myself awake at 3am, not a big deal. I can get through one or even two ten-hour shifts at work because I know I'll be able to sleep in over the weekend.

But if I find myself awake at 3am on a Monday or Tuesday morning, well...that can get problematic. We all have things to do and not getting enough sleep can throw a wrench into our plans. I also don't know how getting older makes things better or worse. I've heard people need less sleep as they age. I seem to need more.

Earlier this week I woke up around 5am. That's a tough call. I mean, I could try to go back to sleep, but my alarm was set for 5:30am. I usually grab my phone and do a little surfing, because 1/2 hour can go by quickly. I did not expect to fall asleep ten minutes before the alarm went off, and then wake up five minutes later.

I suppose in the grand scheme of things, getting five or six hours of sleep instead of seven is not that big a deal. And if I'm not sleeping to the point where my health is compromised, I can take time off work. Still, when you're laying there and you see the time on the clock, it doesn't seem fair.


No comments:

Post a Comment