Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Difficult To Get Any Writing Done...After The Haircut


 On a usual evening, I will pull out my laptop and crank out a blog post in no time, even quicker when that itch needs scratching and I need to get the words on the page fast. Tonight, I sat down almost two hours ago and I'm just now getting to the keyboard.

It's the dog.

He just got a haircut.

We have a poodle. All you poodle owners--and owners of dogs that need to be groomed--understand what it's like when you bring your dog home from the groomer. Now, having never been a dog, I can't imagine having all the hair on your body shaved like that. Our dog does a lot of zooming and scratching and basically freaking out.

Can't really blame him. 

To make matters worse, it's winter here and yesterday, the dog had a thick and warm coat surrounding him, protecting him, warming him. That's changed now,

Our dog is an affectionate dog, but only just. He will, for example snuggle up to you when you're sitting on the couch, but it doesn't seem to be his natural inclination. Today, however, he's come right up to me and sat down to get as warm as possible. Our dog also isn't one to like having blankets over him. He does now. We've covered him up and he hasn't moved from my side since.

It's human nature--the good side of human nature--to want those you love to be comfortable, to be safe, to be loved. I don't mind him sitting next to me tonight, and there's a good chance we'll end up together tomorrow. I'm fine with that, too...

It's just the writing that is...delayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment