Monday, January 29, 2024

Wonder When We'll Light Up The Ol Fire Pit...


 Last winter, feet of snow covered our backyard for months. We got hit at the end of December, and then we were hit again, and again, and again. I can't remember when the snow receded to the point where we could see grass and our gardens...

And the fire pit.

Ah, the ol' fire pit. I remember digging it out. All those rocks you see in that picture came from the two feet across by a foot deep hole. Needless to say, just under our grass, we have rocks...not just small stones, but big rocks and once you've cleared those, even bigger rocks remain. 

All that work was worth it.

We don't use the pit to excess. I think my kids have lasting memories of the first season we used the pit. It snowed almost every time we lit it up. Plus, we have winds up here. Winds and snow do not add to a positive outdoor experience. We'd make s'mores and even roast hot dogs though the bad weather. I loved it. My kinds...not so much. 

This afternoon I went outside. Our big snows are all but gone thanks to our January thaw. As the dog did his business, I spotted the fire pit. It remains silent, not saying a word, waiting for the chance to be utilized again. It'll happen. When? I'm not quite sure, especially now that we're down one child and another one has begun his full-time schooling. 

Maybe one of these first nights, I'll go to the woodpile and pick out a few sticks. I'll grab the axe and make some kindling from an old 2x4, then go inside for some newspaper. Once the wood is assembled in a manner that will hopefully allow a small flame to become larger, then larger still, I'll apply heat in the form of a lighted match. Of course, if that doesn't work, I'll go into the garage and bring out the barbecue lighter fluid...you know, to sort of "kick-start" the process.

Once the flame is going, I'll return and pull up a chair, all the while knowing I'll need to wash the clothes I'm wearing afterwards due to the roaming smoke. If we have the materials, I'll dig out the wires and attach an unburned marshmallow to see if I can heat up the outside just to the point of combustion, and then remove it from the heat. Yes. It will smokey and messy and sort of a pain.

And all that work is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment