Wednesday, January 2, 2019

A Good Deed Recognized...


On Sunday I was handed a small piece of paper, a paper announcing a donation drive. A young man in our congregation is finishing up his Eagle Scout award by organizing a donation drive to bring help to people he's never met.

It is a noble thing to do.

When I grew up in this same neighborhood as a teenager thirty-five plus years ago, getting your Eagle Scout award was a big deal. The scouting program has taken some hits recently, but in many families, getting your Eagle is still an expected goal for young men. I didn't get mine, but my oldest son did. And he did it on his own, meaning, we didn't push him to do it.

My son's Eagle Project was a donation drive, too. But he didn't collect coats, warm clothing, and/or blankets. He collected books and donated them to inmates at our local county jail. My son didn't know those who would benefit for his hard work, either.

I looked at the paper last Sunday and it made me feel good. This teenager didn't have to do this. He could spend his time doing other things--going on dates, playing video games, hanging out with friends. He chose to spend time organizing, notifying, collecting, and making sure his project takes place.

It's easy to knock a group of people or an entire generation. I see it all the time on social media--those older who believe themselves wiser ripping kids who happen to be the same age as my own children. It's unfair, of course. Maybe us old fogies are jealous of their youth and their potential. I mean, there's nothing stopping me from doing the same thing. It all comes down to choice.

The donation goes until Wednesday, the 9th of January. If you're in the Davis County area (or surrounding areas...) and you'd like to donate coats, warm clothes, and blankets, hit me up and I'll get you the information. It'll be for a good cause and a noble one, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment