Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Just Hanging Out...Looking At A Blood Moon


I read somewhere that it was coming. Good thing my wife was on a social media site Sunday evening or we'd probably have missed it. Sunday the earth passed between the sun and the moon and created a lunar eclipse. That amazing display was followed by a blood moon.

Very cool indeed!

There were a few disadvantages with our watching of these astrological events. First, it was cold. That happens in Utah in January. It wasn't as cold as it could have been, but it was cold enough. 

Second, this event took time. The fact that I didn't have to work the next day helped, but see Disadvantage #1 to see why Disadvantage #2 was a problem. 


Third, we had clouds. The cloud cover wasn't so bad that it ruined the evening, but when the lunar eclipse was completely blocking the moon and that red glow that gives a blood moon its name washed over the usually white object, the clouds moved in and blocked our view. I was lucky to snap a couple of pictures, neither of which was very clear, but it was clear enough to see what's in the photograph.


The whole family, minus our oldest child, decided to stand outside and look up and the night sky. It struck me as we all watched and waited, this will hopefully be one of those experiences that my children remember. As my kids get older, there's going to be fewer and fewer of these events. I look back on my childhood and remember things we did as a family. I don't suspect they'll remember that night every time they hear the phrase "blood moon," or "lunar eclipse," but they might. 

I hope to remember the night as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment