Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Then Incredible...Almost Unbelievable Story Of John Scott


I have, on occasion when I feel justified in doing so, recommended a podcast to those who follow this blog. But, it's not often I recommend a specific podcast episode. I'm doing that now.

When you listen to a lot of podcast, sometimes they can all blend into one big steam of words and thoughts and feelings. I've listened to NPR's Radiolab out of WNYC Studios for years. I like the "less bells-and-whistles" approach they have, and their subject matter is diverse and interesting. I had no idea what I was about to hear today when I pushed the PLAY button on the podcast entitled: The Punchline. 

I just wasn't prepared.

I don't follow hockey much, except for the play-offs. I could, and I probably should. There's just as much drama, emotion, raw talent found in the NHL (and the farm teams...) as there is in the NBA, NFL, and college sports. So, when the podcast began talking about a story from the NHL, I thought it might be interesting. 

It was way more than that.

It chronicled a story worthy of Hollywood.


I'd never heard of John Scott. He wasn't the best player on any team he played for. According to the story, he had a skill, if you're not born with, you'll never get--shear size. A 6' 8" player he found his way into the NHL because of size and intimidation. For those more familiar with John, I apologize I'm not doing his story justice.

I'm not going to tell you what happens to John Scott and his family here. I really want you to download the podcast and listen to John's story. You can access the story from their website by clicking: HERE. From the pictures I've posted I've given away the ending, but his journey more than makes up for any spoilers. 

I've written several stories, short and longer. I've even written several screenplays. This story, if made into a movie, has all the elements to make what happened to John Scott both on his way to the 2016 NHL All-Star game and the game itself, an amazing sports film. I hope one day someone makes that movie. It's a story worth telling, and one definitely worth hearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment