Sunday, January 6, 2019

Absolutely LOVE The Snow...However


Living in an area of seasons brings with it the good and the bad. We live in an amazing climate where all four seasons are represented. Of the four, summer is my least favorite, followed by spring, then winter, and at last autumn. Many people I know and who here hate winter.

I love it.

I love the snow, I love the lack of pollen in the air, I love that yard work is not expected. Sure, there's some things that aren't the best--the pollution in the inversions is not only ugly, but unhealthy and even dangerous.

Then, there's driving in the snow.

I've lived on our hill for decades. I think I can count on both hands the times I wasn't able to get my car up the hill to our house. Today was one of those days. We had a storm that actually hit last night. It began with rain--this morning it started to snow. I didn't realize until I headed down the hill on my way to church (by the way, two-hour church is, well, heavenly...) just how slick it was under the newly fallen snow. The failure of my car to stop was my first clue.

The snow fell heavily while we worshiped, and I hoped the roads would be plowed when time came to go home. They were plowed, but not enough. I got within thirty feet of my goal of level road when the car would not go farther. I ended up going backwards until I got the the level road below ours. I parked the car and waited for the snowplow to make another pass. 

I knew my tires weren't the best. They're not completely bald, but I thought as I tried and tried to will my car up the hill that if I only had new tires, I'd be okay. When I walked down to try again, I saw the huge snowplow spin its tires as it tried to crest the hill. I knew then that this was not a normal storm and the roads were not normally slick. This was unusual and new tires might not have even helped.

Right now, my little car is parked off the street at our house. Yes, winter in the mountains can be a pain at times, but to me, it's worth putting up with the bad because the good is so great.


No comments:

Post a Comment