Monday, March 20, 2023

And The Sky Is A Hazy Shade Of...Spring


 I snapped a picture of the scene from my office window this afternoon. The clouds you see had already dropped their load of water, snow, even a little hail...while the water was coming down, you could barely see across the street. As I looked, I didn't know when winter turns to spring this year, so I looked it up. Turns out, today is that day.

Welcome Spring, 2023.

It's a wet one.

Seems appropriate, considering the winter we've had. To say we've had a wet winter is a gross understatement. It's one for the record books. All this water couldn't have come at a better time. Our state, and the rest of the western United States, have experienced several dryer-than-normal years. They call it a drought. Will these record-breaking totals change that? 

No. It takes several years of wetter than normal years to reverse all those dry years. But, it definitely helps. We're in the transition phase. Yes, we got rain and snow in the mountains, but the days are getting warmer so more snow will be melting in the days to come.

My question...how much more water can the ground take? We've already seen flooding in some areas of our state. I'm sure we'll see more. I don't think anyone could imagine what the spring and summer of 1983 would be like back when all the snow was dumped on the state the winter before. Those of us that remember, we're thinking it'll be more of the same.

I sure hope not.

Spring is here. It's no longer something that will eventually come. The forecast has us getting more days of similar weather this week, then it's supposed to dry out.

Wet winter: check

Wet beginning of spring: check

Looks like the pattern's continuing.

No comments:

Post a Comment