Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Ask Dad...If Only We Would Or Could


 Years ago I worked for a government agency that focused on child care. The main focus was pre-school programs across the state, but the department also released a yearly paper on intergenerational poverty and how to reduce the cases of poverty in the state. I read a few of those reports and one thought came to my mind as I read through the problems and how to fix them...

We need more dads.

I was reminded of these reports at lunch last Friday. At Kneaders I spotted a cute "decision maker." You spin the sign and it will either stop on "Ask Mom" or "Ask Dad." I thought it might make a fun picture so I snapped it. How would society be better if we would or could ask dad?

The intergenerational poverty report was exceptionally researched with statistics and facts to support that families continuing to live in poverty is detrimental to society in many ways. The reports also included several recommendations the state can adopt to help fix the problem. One thing kept coming back to my mind. The report failed to support the notion that having a father in the home would greatly increase the chance of a family breaking the curse of poverty.

My contention lacks the research and study of these original reports. But, thousands upon thousands of years of experience backs up my claim. This isn't to pass judgement, but a simple statement. Dads are important.

Perhaps it's easy for me to say this because I am a father and my children had the advantage of having a father in the home. Then again, I can also speak from experience. From the age of eight years old, I lacked a father in the home. I know, without a doubt, the life of me and my family would have been improved had my father not passed away those many years ago.

Ask dad...if you can. It can only help.

No comments:

Post a Comment