Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Yet Another Reason...To Drive A Stick


 Saw the headline...

Knew exactly what happened, as do you.

Years ago when I attended the LTUE conference, I remember parking my car and as I crossed the parking lot, an author friend pulled up. I waited for him to get out so we could walk to the conference together. I don't remember the exact make and model of his car, but I haven't forgotten the conversation we had as we walked.

I mentioned the car and he said how great it was. It was an older compact, but he said it had an Anti-Millennial Theft Device, in other words, a manual transmission. I laughed--it was funny. Truth be told, I've stolen that line several times since then...each time, it gets a laugh.

When I learned to drive, oh, around 40+ years ago, there was a good chance whatever car you climbed in had a manual transmission. I think back then, almost every make and model came with the option of having either an automatic or manual transmission. Since my first car was a VW beetle, I pretty much had to learn how to drive a stick or I wouldn't have been able to go anywhere (to be honest, that bug was so unreliable at times, often I was unable to go anywhere...). 

Fast forward four decades, the manual transmission is a dying breed. I recently replaced the manual transmission in Donk the Subaru. My mechanic friend told me that the "powers that be" want to get rid of all manuals. He was told they get worse gas mileage. We both know that's a lie.

If you want to read the article, click: HERE, even though you already know the story just from the headline. It's another excellent reason to drive a stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment