Sunday, March 5, 2023

Give Thanks...Continuing The Family Tradition


If you're like me, as a parent I've always wondered how my kids are going to turn out...where they'll live, accomplishments they'll do, and how they'll make a living. Since we've lived with them their whole lives, we think we might have some of these questions answered as they grow. Sometimes they surprise us.

For years we weren't quite sure which direction our youngest would take. The past couple of years we've discussed some options for him. He's taken our suggestions with what we believe is an open mind. When my daughter was thinking about the same thing years ago, we visited a trade school...

It intrigued our youngest, so much so, in February, he began his higher education experience.

He's going into Building Technology. Basically, he's learning how to build homes. He knew a university education was probably not going to work for him so he's going into a field where he can most likely make more than his old man (who has two degrees...) in a few years.

Good for him.

Before classes began, we had a list of things to buy to get him ready. It was fun going down the list, picking out tools we know he'll need and use. Oh, how I wish I had the knowledge to take advantage of the tool aisle in the hardware store.


Over the years I've picked up a few construction skills here and there--nothing like what my son will be learning. Had my father lived, I'm sure he would have taught me construction skills. That man could (literally...) build anything. He designed and built our family home back in the early 1970s. He knew carpentry, bricklaying, HVAC installation, electrical...pretty much everything. His knowledge was unfortunately not passed on to his children. I wish it were. I got many of his tools, but not now to use them.

Hopefully with my son, the Taylor knowledge of home construction will live on. I'm grateful my son wants to continue in the family tradition, even though he doesn't know it's a family tradition. I'm exited for him. There's an incredible sense of accomplish building something that didn't exist before knowing you're the one who did it.

My father would be proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment