Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Trying To Find The Artist...


Last week I saw a Facebook post from a college friend who now lives in Teton Valley, Idaho. She liked a post in the Teton Valley History Facebook site. If you're not familiar with these Facebook sites (and if you spend any time on Facebook, I'm sure that you know of them...), a site will be created by people from a specific geographic location mostly to reminisce about "the old days." I'm a member of the "If You Grew Up In Farmington" site. I'm also a member similar sites for Kaysville and Tremonton. I sort of grew up in Kaysville and I definitely didn't grow up in Tremonton, but it's a way to learn about those who did.

I decided to see if I could become a part of the Teton Valley History site.

I asked to join.

I was accepted.

It's been fascinating. Most of the photos are from long ago, and I by "long" I mean, early to mid-1900s...some even earlier. I am waiting to see if there's anyone I might know (mostly from last names...), and I'm sure my mom and her family knew them all. 

I have several photos that match the time period of my mom, her brothers, parents, aunts, and uncles. I might post some one of these days. I do have something I know is from the valley--artwork from my mom's uncle Claude.

Last night I did some ancestry digging to get details of Uncle Claude. I've blogged about him and the painting before. One HUGE problem...

I blogged about the wrong ancestor.

My mother's mother's name is Dalley. Back when I blogged about the painting in 2020, I assumed (incorrectly...) that Claude was my mom's uncle from her mother's side--I'm sure a most interesting man who I would love to know more about, but it's not him. My mother's father's name is Knight. As you can see on the artwork, it was a Knight who did the painting. It took me several hours of searching on Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.com last night and I never found him.

My parents adopted us later in their lives so I had a lot of cousins who were older. I met so many as a child and by the time I reached adulthood and could remember people and make the connections, many had passed away. If my mom were alive, I could just call her up and ask how she was related to Uncle Claude. It would be so much easier.

Death has a way of making simple tasks difficult.

I'll keep looking. Maybe one day I'll figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment