Monday, April 1, 2024

I Guess I Don't Understand Modern Marketing At All...


 Last week I went out driving with my son. I asked my wife if she wanted us to pick up anything at the local market. "Sure," she said. "How about getting me a ginger ale?" 

"Sure," I said.

It's difficult to say if our family are big soda drinkers. I mean, yes, we buy it and go through it...eventually. I know there are families that drink less, and there are families that drink a whole lot more. We don't drink it every day. We don't buy soda every week. When we do buy soda, we've found it's best for us to purchase it when it's on sale. That's when we pounce. 

But, ginger ale? It's not really our thing, except when you want a ginger ale. Sometimes ginger ale hits the spot when lesser drinks can't...like when the tummy's a little upset.

My son and I embarked on a quest, a quest for ginger ale. 

And we found it. We found lots of it.

My son parked the car and I ran inside. I went to the back of the store where the "off" brands of soda are stocked. It took a little bit to find the ginger ale because there wasn't much of it on the shelves. I spotted the familiar green, yellow, and red label of arguably the most famous brand of ginger ale...

Canada Dry.

There's the old joke of a man driving to Canada seeing a billboard with the slogan "Drink Canada Dry" splashed across it. So, he crossed the border and started drinking all the alcohol in sight. When finally stopped and asked by the authorities why he was drinking so much, he said that he was just trying to do what the billboard said, drink Canada dry.

I know...old joke.

Because we don't buy soda that often, and especially when it's not on sale, I had no idea how much it would cost. Expecting it to be expensive, I found it cost $6.99 for a six-pack. Because I was on a quest, I picked up on six-pack. As I turned to leave, something caught my eye.

If I buy four six-packs, 24 in total, the cost was $10. I had to read it a couple of times to make sure. Since I was only getting one six-pack, I did not bring a cart with me, so I grabbed four six-packs and carried them to the front of the store. Because I still doubted, I had to ask the checker how much they would all cost.

Ten bucks.

I got them all.

Food is so expensive now. It seems strange to basically give away fifteen sodas for free, but there it was. If this is new marketing, I have no idea how it works, or even if it works. All I know is...

We have a lot of ginger ale. It's going to take a while to get through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment