Monday, June 26, 2023

Ever Wonder What Things Will Cost In The Future...?


 We attended a couple of yard sales over the weekend...saw many things. As with most yard sales, a majority of what was for sale was, well...in a work, trash. Maybe that's a harsh word. We'll call it once-valuable stuff.

And some of it was worth a lot of money in its time.

The Compaq iPAQ Pocket PC. That was something. 

I think I tried one out once, at least, I think I did. I'm sure it was clunky by today's standards. We take for granted just how amazing today's tech really is. A modern cellphone instantly delivers requested information. The thought of waiting even a few seconds sounds archaic. That's because it is. Now at the yard sale the iPAQ--all that technology that can fit in the palm of your hand sells for a mere ten bucks.

Then, there's the TV...a Sony Trinitron. I'm no expert in TVs, but I know Sony is a quality brand and Trinitron was their premiere line. I'll bet that particular TV costs a good chunk of change back in the day. I didn't even ask the cost of the TV because it's just too old. I'd probably never watch it.

Then, there's the Tropic Thunder DVD. Can't really say much about that...it speaks for itself.

When I look at things that cost a lot of money today, how much will they cost when they find themselves on yard sale tables in ten, fifteen, twenty years from now? Will a thousand dollar phone of today cost $20 in ten years? Will a top-of-the-line laptop costs less than a tank of gas (assuming there's still gasoline in the future...)? We put value on something based on our interpretation of the item, not necessarily what it's really worth. 

Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment