Monday, June 5, 2023

The Eternal Question--Is A Fritter A Doughnut...?


 There's a national day for pretty much anything, or so it seems. Last week was National Donut Day. Personally, I prefer National Doughnut Day, but whatever. I would not have known about it except we dropped by our local grocery store and there was a huge display.

After passing the display, we entered the store and saw another display, this time a display of sugary deliciousness. Because it was National Donut Day, I made my choice...a fritter. As we left the store, I wondered if a fritter is considered a donut.

The definition of a donut, according to Merriam-Webster is:

1
a small usually ring-shaped piece of sweet fried dough
2
something (such as a mathematical torus) that has a round shape like a doughnut
3
a controlled skid that sends an automobile into a tight circle of at least 360 degrees 
usually used in the phrase do doughnuts

What I also loved was something else included on dictionary website. It said, "Less common spelling of DOUGHNUT."

Score!

We can immediately eliminate definitions 2 and 3, which leave #1...a small usually ring-shaped piece of sweet fried dough. My fritter was made of dough, it was fried, and it was round (ish). 

My ruling--yes, a fritter is a doughnut...

And I'm glad I helped support the cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment